Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

South Platte River Offers Options

While the most busy part of the season seems to have come to a close, the Labor Day weekend provided some excellent trips on both the South Platte River in South Park and closer to Denver.  Last week the flows were dropped in South Park but we were able to stick some quality fish on Dries and Nymphs.   After the signifcant drop in flow, I opted to take the rest of the weekend's trips to another section of the Platte closer to Denver.  Again, Dries and Nymphs were extremely effective as hookups were constant throughout the day.  Tricos and BWO's in the morning have been solid, while PMD's and Caddis are producing later in the day.   I have talked with several anglers recently asking me how I think the drop in flow out in South Park is going to effect the fall run of Brown Trout.  While the flows are low, fish will still move up and fishing should be good.  The biggest problem will be those people fishing to actively spawning fish on redds, as they will be very visible.  If you witness this, please courteously share the info regarding the importance of the fall spawn.  Below are a few good fish from this past week's trips.  There is also one more order of business that I would like to touch on as well following the pictures.




 
 
 
 
 
Ok so the other issue that I have started to stumble upon more and more is the increased amount of dead fish.   These are not little fish either and it truly breaks my heart when I see these big guys belly up in a place where I both make my living and spend my free time.  That being said, I want to remind people to properly release fish by taking the needed time to bring the fish back to life.  Make sure that the fish does not go belly up or is being washed down stream upon release.  Stay and watch the fish for a few minutes to make sure that they are healthy upon release.  On the same note, do not over fight a fish. You can land a fish much quicker than you would believe by simply tightening your drag slightly.  Also, if you foul hook a fish(this will be an issue this fall I have no doubt) have the discipline to break the fish off.  DO NOT LAND a foul hooked fish.  The fish will use more energy and the battle will take longer.  It doesn't count if the fish does not eat your fly.  Anyways, below is a picture of a big thick rainbow that I found belly up in the weeds. It measured just over 25 inches which is why this topic is so important to me.  If this occurs during the fall, the future of the river's naturally reproducing Brown Trout will eventually cease to exist.  Please just be careful and take time to properly release fish.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment