Search This Blog

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Back to the Roots

Fellow fly fisherman, Doug Hensel, shot me a text this afternoon asking me to meet him at one of the Denver area stillwaters.  Within 20 minutes I met up with Doug who was already working the water.  I only had a little time before the Rangers/Sens game 7 started and I really did not care what I caught.  While there were some Largemouth Bass in their prespawn moving around, I decided to take it back to the roots of fishing and catch as many Sunfish as I could. I probably have not caught a Bluegill since I was 11 or 12 years old and watching them come up and slam a dry fly sounded fun.  I think that it is important to remember what fishing meant to us as a little kid.  The pure fascination of dealing with something that lives in an underwater world is what drives us as beginner anglers.  While fishing for trophy trout and helping others do the same will always be my passion, remembering where it all started was a fun way to spend the afternoon.  Below are a few pictures of these little guys.  What they lack in size, I think they make up for it in their colors, fight, and how aggressive they attack a fly.  Oh, and Go Rangers!



No comments:

Post a Comment